For many Americans, owning a beachfront home is attaining their dream. They can escape work deadlines, commutes to work and the hum-drum daily grind. Salty ocean breezes soothes the soul.
But many of us think that you have to have big bucks to afford this.
But you just have to find the right beach town that has home affordability and surfy satisfaction.
The data team at Realtor.com did their annual research. They scoured the United States and miles of shoreline. What they discovered was a selection of sun and sand options that were financially feasible. And, in reality, a beach home is more than a dream, it is an investment.
So what do we look for in a beach home? It needs to be a place that other beachgoers want to go. So to find America’s most affordable beach towns, our Realtor team located the country’s biggest metropolitan areas with the highest share of listings with keywords such as “beach”, “beachfront” and “ocean”. They also looked for markets that had lots of fun water-based activities. Not all of these areas are on the shore but they have at least one sweet beach area nearby.
So are you curious which cities made the list? Here we go.
1. Jacksonville, NC: Topsail and Surf City are military friendly towns was number two on last year’s list.
2. Aberdeen, WA: It is not a beach town but leads to two nice oceanfront areas nearby and is two hours out of Seattle.
3. Atlantic City, NJ: It is making a comeback from Hurricane Sandy and is close by Philadelphia and New York City.
4. Myrtle Beach, SC: The city boasts more than 3000 listings under $200,000 and is closest to Irmo, SC.
5. Palm Bay, FL: Melbourne Beach is one of the southernmost beaches in the state.
6. Port St. Lucie, FL: It is about half way between Orlando and Miami on the Treasure Coast.
7. Virginia Beach, VA: The Chesapeake Bay area has a rich maritime and military history.
8. Salisbury, MD: This is a new entry to the 2019 list and is near popular Ocean City, MD.
9. Morehead City, NC: This is another newcomer to the list and is protected by a barrier island, Bogue Banks.
10. Portland, ME: It is the highest median price at $357,682. It is not exactly a beach town but south Portland has a small beach.
For more information on these affordable beach towns, contact Nancy Nelson-Embler, your Irmo Realtor, at Coldwell Banker, 7464 Woodrow Street. Or call or text me at 803-331-0635.