School District Five is committed to communicating the latest updates and information regarding school closures, distance learning and feeding sites. Please read the information below regarding an important update regarding grading for the remainder of the school year and other closure updates and reminders.
GRADING FOR STUDENTS
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 South Carolina State Superintendent of Education, Molly Spearman, issued guidance on grading for the remainder of this school year. Due to this guidance, School District Five is making the following grading updates:
- Students in grades 3 through 12: Third (3rd) and fourth (4th) quarter grades will be combined into one semester grade. Therefore, the grades that will be posted on Tuesday, April 7 in Parent Portal for students in grades 3 – 12 will be considered Interim grades, not end of quarter grades.
- Students in grades PK through 2: PK – 2nd grade parents will receive information from their teachers via email or telephone about their child’s progress thus far. Due to this new guidance from the State, report cards for PK – 2 will not be mailed on April 7th as originally stated in our communication to families on March 26th, but will be issued at the end of the fourth (4th) quarter or end of second (2nd) semester. Third (3rd) and fourth (4th) quarter grades will be combined for one semester grade.
- High School Seniors: Seniors/Parents of Seniors will receive individual contact from their school to ensure that graduation requirements are being met and to assist with needed academic support. If your child is having any difficulties with work during this time, reach out to your child’s school for assistance.
The period of time for course completion, demonstration of mastery, and course remediation for seniors must be finalized by May 15th. Therefore, all assignments for seniors must be completed and submitted to teachers no later than May 15th.
- Grading of Completed Assignments During the Closure: Teachers that have established a Google Classroom will continue to give feedback and grade information to students through Google Classroom. School Districts across the state are in the process of working with the South Carolina State Department of Education with technical issues related to entering grades so they are visible in Parent Portal. Once the technical issues are resolved, we will communicate new details on grading to our families.
- Collection of Completed Assignments During the Closure: Now that we have received this guidance from the State Department of Education, and since our closure has been extended through at least the month of April, we will begin the process of collecting completed assignments during the closure. Some students have already submitted assignments to their teachers, but others have not. Specific information on how we will collect completed assignments will be shared with families next week (April 4-8) by your child’s school.
If you have any questions or concerns during this closure, please reach out to your child’s teacher or a school administrator: www.lexrich5.org/D5StaffDirectory
D5 FEEDING SITES REMINDER
Free meals for children age 18 or younger are offered on Mondays only at six schools in Lexington-Richland School District Five. Students receive 5 days-worth of breakfast and lunch items, during the Monday meal offering.
To ensure we serve as many children as possible each week, families should visit only one of our sites each week and accept 1 (one) 5-day supply (per child age 18 and under) each week. Though students are not required to be present at feeding sites, parents will be required to show their students’ ID cards, if they have them. If they do not have them, they will be required to sign their name and list their children’s names in order to receive the meals.
- Click here for more information and for feeding site locations: https://bit.ly/2wCpFt9
Feeding site menu items for the week of April 6, food reheating instructions and nutritional facts can be found online at the following link: https://bit.ly/2V47oNg
School District Five will still observe spring break. April 10 is a Student/Teacher Holiday. All schools and offices will be closed April 13-17.
No distance learning assignments will be provided on these dates, and there will be no virtual staff office hours. Technical support also will not be available during spring break.
School District Five will still provide meals for the week of spring break. Five days-worth of meals will be available on Monday, April 13. Visit our website to see our school year calendar: www.lexrich5.org/calendar
- Need assistance? Our staff is working virtually and here to assist you. During the closure, email is the quickest and most efficient way to get answers to your questions. Visit lexrich5.org/D5staffdirectory for contact information.
- Parents/Guardians: If you are not currently receiving texts or emails from the district and would like to, please contact your student(s) school registrar.
- Visit the district website, lexrich5.org.
- Connect with us on social media.
School District Five will be closed for the duration of April, under executive order of the governor of South Carolina. All district events including athletic events, Adult Education classes and other after school activities are cancelled until further notice.
State and school officials will continue to reassess the closure, and details regarding a date to return to school. Any future announcements will be made using the school district’s automated telephone system, the district website, social media and local media outlets. Click here to read this week’s executive order by the governor regarding closures.